If you’re a web designer or student, you need all of the inspiration and instruction that you can get. Fortunately, there’s plenty to be found online, and some of the best resources for web design learning can be found through Open Course Ware. Read on, and you’ll find more than 50 top notch courses that will help you become a better web designer.
These courses cover a variety of useful topics for web designers.
- Multimedia & World Wide Web: With the help of this course, you’ll learn how to make user-centered documents using HTML, CSS, and more. [DePaul University]
- Intermediate Web Development: Get an advanced look at web development from this course. [College of Charleston]
- Web Programming: Follow this course to learn about a variety of techniques and tools used to program web pages. [University of Washington]
- Data Mining: This course will teach you how to collect and use data for decision making. [MIT]
- Electronic Publishing and Design: Learn more about electronic publishing and design through this course. [College of Charleston]
- Webpage Authoring: This course will help you learn all about HTML and web authoring. [Sofia]
- Web Programming, Development, & Data Integration: This course covers a variety of web design technologies and more. [Purdue]
- Weekly Web Design Class: Follow this course, and you’ll learn a variety of skills that are important to good web design. [About]
Design & Visualization Fundamentals
These college courses are all about perfecting the way things look.
- Digital Typography: Follow this course to explore new ways of looking at and manipulating typography. [MIT]
- Color Theory 101: This course will help you learn more about the thought behind color theory. [Planet Photoshop]
- Computer Graphics: This programming class will help you better understand some of the important data structures and algorithms behind presenting data on a computer. [MIT]
- Information Visualization: Use this course to learn about presenting information visually. [University of British Columbia]
- Historical Foundations of Visual Technology: This course will teach you all about the history of visual technologies. [DePaul]
- Advanced Computer Graphics: Get an advanced look at computer graphics through this course. [University of Virginia]
- Principles of Design: You will study advanced design theories and more in this course. [MIT]
- Algorithms for Computer Animation: Follow this course to learn about animation algorithms. [MIT]
- Fundamentals of Computational Media Design: In this course, you’ll get an exploration of digital art and relevant media. [MIT]
- Design: Check out this course to learn about important principles in design. [Open University]
- Designing Sociable Media: You will learn about social interaction and design online in this course. [MIT]
- Introduction to the Elements of Design: You’ll learn the building blocks of design in this course. [About]
- Art of Color: Gain an appreciation for using color in the visual arts with the help of this course. [MIT]
Check out these courses to learn more about web design .
- Advanced Topics in Learning Object Design and Reuse: Use this course to learn how to apply advanced topics in design to online learning objects. [Utah State University]
- Intro to Instructional Design: You can get a better understanding of instructional design by following this course. [Utah State University]
- Accessibility of eLearning: This course will help you learn how to make educational design more accessible for disabled students. [Open University]
- Seminar in Instructional Design: Find out more about designing for learning with the help of this course. [San Diego State University]
With these courses, you’ll be able to learn how to make your design more usable.
- People-centered Designing: Get a strong understanding of user-centered design by studying this course. [Open University]
- Human-Computer Interaction Seminar: Check out this seminar to learn about human-computer interaction design. [Stanford]
- Designing for Humans: This lecture series will help you learn how to prevent user errors and design human-oriented solutions. [Gresham College]
- Human Computer Interaction: In this course, you’ll learn about user studies, usability, and more. [University of Washington]
- Accessibility in Interaction Design: Use this course to learn about making your design more accessible. [Open University]
- Ars Synthetica: Designs for Human Practice: Find out how to design for humans with the help of this course. [Connexions]
- Human-Computer Interaction: You’ll learn more about designing for users from this course that focuses on human-computer interaction. [Central Queensland University]
- Designing the User Interface: Text, Color, Images, Moving Images and Sound: Find out more about user interface design by following this course. [Open University]
Tools & Technologies
These courses detail how you can use specific tools and technologies.
- Illustrator CS2-Live Trace and Live Paint: Use this course to learn about Live Trace and Live Paint in Illustrator. [DesignMentor]
- Java Programming: In this course, you’ll learn about the Java programming language, with object-oriented programming and more. [Sofia]
- Three-Dimensional Modeling, Animation and Rendering Using Blender 3D Software: You’ll learn how to use Blender in web design and more by following this course. [Tufts]
- Creating Interactive Media: Check out this course to learn about the tools, technologies, and techniques used to create interactive multimedia. [University of Southern Queensland]
- Multimedia Web Design: You’ll learn all about the technologies used to design and implement multimedia web sites in this course. [University of Michigan]
- Introduction to Flash MX: Follow this course, and you’ll learn how to develop with Flash MX. [Sofia]
- Intermediate HTML: Those with a healthy knowledge of HTML will benefit from this continuing learning course. [Suite 101]
- XML Foundations: You’ll be able to learn all about using XML with this course. [Berkeley]
- Web Page Authoring: Through this course, you’ll get a great understanding of using HTML. [Sofia]
- Software Engineering for Web Applications: This course will teach you all of the important parts of designing a dynamic web site. [ArsDigita University]
- Introduction to Multimedia Programming: Follow this course, and you’ll learn all about interactivity, navigation, organization, and more. [Monash]
- Software Engineering for Web Applications: Use this course to learn how to deal with the challenges of creating an Internet application. [MIT]
In these courses, you’ll gain a better understanding of the Internet.
- The Future of the Internet: This course offers a look into thoughts and concepts that will be prominent in the future online. [Stanford]
- Communicating in Cyberspace: Check out this course to learn all about collaboration and interaction online. [MIT]
- The Semantic Web: Tim Berners-Lee offers a look into the semantic web in this resource. [MIT]
- Advanced Internet and Web Services: By using this course, you’ll learn about search engines, web services, data mining, and more. [University of Washington]
- Foundations of American Cyberculture: Check out this course to see how American Cyberculture works. [Berkeley]
- Search Engines: Technology, Society and Business: In this course, you’ll learn about using search engines to your advantage. [Berkeley]
To learn about legal issues in web design, be sure to check out these courses.
- Ethics and the Law on the Electronic Frontier: This course will teach you how technology and the Internet is affected by the law and ethics. [MIT]
- Introduction to Copyright Law: Be sure to check out this course to gain an understanding of the way copyright law works. [MIT]
Did you enjoy this article?